Wednesday, January 20, 2010

TAKING IT TO THE STREETS







I rode the bus today. I am embarrassed to admit this, but it was the first time I ever rode the bus. It made me feel great to use public transportation and stupid to have never done it before. But-and this may be the point-it doesn't matter, really, when you get on board, so long as you do. It's like the Sigg bottle. I have access to free bottled water and didn't really give much thought about stuff in plastic until two years ago. I was so impressed by a very cool musician's use of the Swiss bottle that I headed right out to Whole Foods and picked up a few. Now I'm in, I'm all in. The Sigg and I can be found most days poolside. I got there, eventually.

I like to walk. Always have. In fact, back in the 90's, when my office was merely a mile from the casa, I'd make the trek to work on foot 50% of the time. Now it's like a desert here so I'd leave early, using my car during the blazing Summer, but the Spring and Fall is for taking it to the streets.

I make a point to walk a minimum of a few miles everyday. I'll march down to Barnes & Noble, usually roam the Boulevard Mall and often wander around on the way back home. I've never sashayed and haven't traipsed in years but walking briskly is definitely -and defiantly-my thing.

I wish more people walked. I do. When you pass others on the sidewalk, there's usually a nod and sometimes even a smile. I mean, we're all in this together, no? You may be quick to flip-off someone while driving but on foot, it's rare.

JOHNNY DEPP'S ASS

Several years ago I sang at Johnny Depp's club in West Hollywood. The Viper Room. I had written a song that some thought was cool (and he thought was kitsch) and after my performance I had a nice conversation with Mr. Depp. Two drinks worth of great chit-chat. We talked about music, what was eating Gilbert Grape and then-for whatever reason-I told him that, while it's often too damn hot to walk in Las Vegas, whenever I'm in Hollywood I make it a point to hoof it. Johnny nodded, grinned and said, "Me too. I love to walk. Walking is great for your butt." So there, a major movie star told me that I have a nice ass, or at least that's how I choose to remember it.

This morning's mistake was wearing a spotcoat and tie. I mean, it's not like I dressed especially for the bus. I had a meeting; the reason I didn't drive is unimportant. I slid the two bucks into the thing and took the ride. Many of my fellow passangers were regulars, on the way to work. I think some may have been headed to doctor's or methadone clinics. Everyone but me used a pre-paid pass. It was convienient and made me wonder why more people don't use public transport. For many, it's the right thing to do.

I got there, eventually.

About Me

My photo
My profile is considered: "HIGH" 40-ish, 6 foot-ish, slim-ish, trim-ish straight-ish, late-ish, creative-ish... I am an unashamed HETRO* *Heterochromatic(one green eye, one hazel-ish).