Thursday, December 16, 2010

Radiotransinfo William Watters Internet Radio Part 2

JS: We are back and my guest is a friend of more than ten years, William Watters. Will, you didn't know we were live last hour?

WW: I tought we were taping. Prolly wouldn't have mentioned my penis so much, ya know?

JS: You got your start in radio.

WW: Smooth.

JS: Thanks.

WW: As a teenager. Eddie Hudson, the greatest voice on radio, was the voice of K-Bay, etc. Today there's a cool cat named Patrick with a Sirius Satellite show Coacktails with Patrick, a sexy pop culture show aimed at young women, where they go inside the male mind. That guy Patrick Meagher is the best guy I ever heard do radio ever. Ever."

JS: You were telling me that you wrote the Sinatra radio show.

WW: I wrote every word. Tony Anzaldo was like 17 and I was a year older and we first got into the National Association of Broadcasters, went to the big shindig in San Francisco. Yes, I have always believed in the power of radio.

JS: You couldn't practice law for a period, you got involved with bad people in the Nevada Black Book.

WW: Old news. I can now but I've dedicated myself to writing. BUt I was treated fairly and that's all in the past, plus I didn't talk about it then and as a result was suspended so I'm sure as hell not going to talk now.

Can I go back to broadcasters and tell you a Sinatra story? The old man was at Caesars, and his show had like 1000 members of the broadcast industry, radio and TV. I was quite young, hanging backstage, taking it all in. So after he does three opening songs he greets the broadcasters and then proceeds to lecture them, scolding them for saying "A-leven, A-mergency" and not Eleven, Emergency. They laughed but he was serious. Frank Sinatra watched a lot of news, always had CNN on in the dressing room. When he said things on stage, he meant them, that was his venue to talk straight becasue he wasn't speaking to anybody in the press. Imagine how amazing it was when Frank Sinatra recorded an interview with me, when he allowed me access to talk to him. Of course all we spoke of was music because I wasn't interested in the gossip. I wanted to know why he recorded this song again etc and I'll tell you, he wanted to know my opinions here and there. Seriously. Amazing.

JS: When Norbert Aleman came on the scene he hired you as his right hand man and he had like 5 or 6 shows going. How did that come about?

WW: I love Norbert. I miss him. He never calls but if ever needed anything, I'd be there. It was weird because Mr. Riklis who owned thr Riviera hired Frank Sinatra Jr's manager, Tino, who hired Jilly Rizzo and of course my best friend in show business Vinnie Falcone. Then Sam Distefano was named the VP of Entertainment so within a month, all my friends came into power.

I went to dinner with Frank Marino, oh, a while back. We're very good friends. I mean, we have different life styles but he calls and says he's taking me to Sinatra's at Wynn and he did, telling me he signed with Imperial Palace for his Divas. I was one of the very first to know. I am so fucking proud of that guy. He has this huge gay, hip following, like that great looking newsman on Channel 8, Chris? And I know they all must look at me and wonder how it is Frank and I are so close. Just wait, I'll have some cosmetics done and those bastards will be dying to meet me for a drink!

JS: Chris Saldana?

WW: What a good-and good looking newsman he is. You know I'm writing a TV script about a newsroom and have been watching loads of TV. Whit Johnson? He's on CBS network now but I first saw him here in Utah. What a great voice and a handsome guy! Him I like too.

JS: You are writing novels but you told me you want to write a Las Vegas entertainment book.

WW: I do. I will. I started on with our mutual friend Jahana Steele. Then I talked to Frank Marino. I have some taped interviews with Joey Bishop that he did with me. We would fly down to Orange County every week and Joey liked me so one day he said "Why don't you tape this?" I got out my little Sony. I'd taped Frank Sinatra talking about the big bands, about Bogie and even about The Beatles. and Sammy shared some great stuff too.

I want to call upon someone like Louie Anderson. He understands good writing. He isn't afraid to open a vein and bleed on the page. I wonder if he might work with me. Hey Lou? Get me a jelly doughnut, Lou.

About Me

My photo
My profile is considered: "HIGH" 40-ish, 6 foot-ish, slim-ish, trim-ish straight-ish, late-ish, creative-ish... I am an unashamed HETRO* *Heterochromatic(one green eye, one hazel-ish).