Thursday, January 6, 2011

OPPORTUNITY VILLAGE IS LAS VEGAS' FAVORITE CHARITY





I love Opportunity Village. I love the work they do, the employment they provide, and the people who work there. With all of my heart, I love OV.


Opportunity Village is a not-for-profit organization that serves people in our community with intellectual disabilities, to enhance their lives and the lives of the families who love them. Opportunity Village is dedicated to helping people with severe intellectual and related disabilities become the very best they can be. Through vocational training, community employment, day services, advocacy, arts and social recreation, people with severe disabilities are able to find new friends, realize future career paths, seek independence and community integration and unleash creative passions.

I'm lucky. I am. I've had the honor of helping out the good people at Opportunity Village over the years, but no where near as much as I'd like. I have taken friends, talented celebrities and business associates over to the campus and I'll tell you straight up: I've never not choked-up and even the toughest of my friends leave with creepers running down their faces. Tears of heaven on Earth, really.

If you're interested in seeing some beautiful art, painted by some real beautiful people, visit their art studio. You'll never look at the world the same again, I promise.

The self-esteem and dignity that Opportunity Village provides some of our disabled friends and neighbors is awesome and amazing. There are a few parts of the facility that are tough to visit, but to see the generous and compasionate care provided to the severley disabled breaks and then heals your heart.

The one quality that makes us human is compassion. That's it. Compassion. When you feel compassion, you are connecting with the world.

Compassion. It means 'shared suffering.' Take a moment and look into Opportunity Village.

Please visit Opportunity Village. Please help them.



*If you're reading this on Facebook, please visit OV's FACEBOOK PAGE. Please.




.

About Me

My photo
My profile is considered: "HIGH" 40-ish, 6 foot-ish, slim-ish, trim-ish straight-ish, late-ish, creative-ish... I am an unashamed HETRO* *Heterochromatic(one green eye, one hazel-ish).