Sunday, July 20, 2008

HEATH LEDGER



I wasn't crazy about Brokeback Mountain, and maybe not for the reasons you may think. I happen to like cowboy movies (enough to say that many of John Wayne films sucked, with the exception of 'Rio Bravo' with a smokin' hot Angie Dickenson, a sensational performance by one of America's greatest under-appreciated actors: DEAN MARTIN, and, of course, Ricky Nelson, who was, back in 1959, like a big-time teen idol. "My Rifle, My Pony and Me," for me best sums up the myth of the American West. It is a good song in a great Western.

But I digress, the topic is HEATH LEDGER and the film where he plays a conflicted Catholic priest, 'The Order' is a very good movie. The special effects are underwhelming but the story is really great. If you kinda got freaked-out by 'The Exorcist,' you'll dig this one. And the bad guys are in The Church and the really bad guy isn't bad at all. In fact, BENNO FURMANN plays the title role (the film was released as 'The Order' but is commonly known by its original title: The Sin Eater). Furmann's character flies around on the coolist private jet, has wealth beyond calculation but is weighed down by the sins he's accepted. This guy is cool as hell- sexy and scary.

Shannyn Sossamon plays the beautiful, troubled love interest and she's sensational.

Now movie snobs all like get on board and knock a film. That's what snobs do-they find that fun; I find it ugly. Nobody sets out to make a poor film and this one, especially now that Heath Ledger is no longer with us, deserves another look.

Sure, go see "The Dark Knight" but if you are interested in 'the dark night of the soul,' rent "The Order."

About Me

My photo
My profile is considered: "HIGH" 40-ish, 6 foot-ish, slim-ish, trim-ish straight-ish, late-ish, creative-ish... I am an unashamed HETRO* *Heterochromatic(one green eye, one hazel-ish).